The Fourth Wall is an imaginary wall setting the viewers, readers, or players and the characters apart in any type of media. The characters are sometimes able to break the wall and communicate with the viewer/reader/player, point out their existence within their respective piece of media or interact with something outside of their fictional world.
There are numerous instances in the SMG4 channel where the fourth wall is broken.
List of fourth wall breaks
|| I'm so lonely...
- Super Mario 64 Bloopers: Dreams: Toad mentions that he hated Mario for all the Bloopers they been in.
- Mario says that the game he's in is gay.
- In one of Mario's dreams, Bowser states that he is using hacks not steroids.
- Mario says that he doesn’t get how Princess Peach is trapped in the wall.
- When Mario was driving away, Lakitu says that it isn’t part of the blooper.
- Super Mario 64 Bloopers: Time Freeze: After Mario fixes the clock, he says "the hack is broken".
- Super Mario 64 Bloopers: Blooper Problems: Lakitu tells the viewer about the problems he and Mario have when making bloopers.
- Super Mario 64 Bloopers: Enter X: X asks the viewers to break him out of jail.
- Super Mario 64 Bloopers: Scatman's Revenge: During the period where Mario wears the cursed clothes, he attempts to talk to the audience, but the screen becomes static.
- Super Mario 64 Bloopers: Breaking Walls: The whole blooper is about Mario and SMG4 getting kicked out of the fourth wall.
- Super Mario 64 Bloopers: The Warrior and the Hobo: The Narrator frequently talks to the viewer about Mario's and SMG4's journey, but stops and runs away when the two ask for his identity.
- Super Mario 64 Bloopers: The Mario Parable: The Narrator speaks on how Mario is just in a simulation although he denies this.
- Super Mario 64 Bloopers: Super Happy Magical Fun Fun Island: When SMG3 slips on a banana peel, an audience laugh is heard, and the madman angrily orders the laughing to stop.
- Super Mario 64 Bloopers: Who let the Chomp out?: After Gourmet Guy is blasted off the cannon, an Mc Shy Guy appears and waves to the audience. After being freed, the Chain Chomp crashes into the camera.
- SM64: ṩṩἔᾗмὄḋᾗᾄʀ 10 (350k apocalypse special): When Mario grows to the size of the castle and punches the Mario Head, he also punches away the timer on the bottom left of the screen.
- Mario Simulator Interactive! (500k Subscribers): One of the game overs involves Mario telling it to shut up while another game over happens after Mario reads the in-game message that he cannot do that action because he does not know it.
- SM64 Bloopers: Casino, Cards and Chaos: Luigi asks what he was doing for the past 9 minutes, which is how long the episode took.
- SMG4 N' Pals: Seaside Stupidity:
- In Part 1, Fishy Boopkins says that they don't have a license to sing Under The Sea.
- In Part 2, when Nintendofan997 begs A. S. Swipe to kill Mario to save himself, the latter retaliates by pointing out Nintendofan997 is just a side character and thereby should be killed instead.
- R64: We're going on a Luigi hunt: In the beginning, Mario talks to the audience in the style of Dora the Explorer.
- SM64: Mario joins the Circus: SMG4 points out how he gets less screentime than Mario.
- SM64: Super Mario RUN RUN RUN!: Kamek yells: "How dare you throw side characters at me!" after Mario throws Bob at him.
- R64: Stupid Smash Bros: When Master Hand says "IS EVERYONE ON DRUGS?!", SMG4 shows up in the bottom right corner and says that they're just in an SMG4 video.
- SMG4: Mario goes to DIDNEY WORL: When Bob gets thrown in jail, he asks the audience if they want to be his friend.
- The Mario Channel: MARIOBUSTERS: Fishy Boopkins asks the audiences to be his friend when asked if he had any friends.
- SMG4: Stupid Paper Mario: After SMG4 runs out of money to make his videos (as he carelessly spent it all), the blooper universe starts to deteriorate in quality. This is similar to The Amazing World of Gumball episode The Money.
- The Mario Channel: MARIO'S CHALLENGE: Shroomy's dance after besting Mario and winning the challenge continues into the credits.
- SMG4: The Movie Audition: Luigi shrugs at the camera.
- SMG4: Mario Battle Royale: Mario is able to notice the kill-feed and how many players were eliminated.
- SMG4: Freddy's Ultimate Custom Spaghetteria: SMG4 starts the video in front of a computer reading comments about how he should do an FNaF Video. He then screams "Fine! I DO IT!" and then grabs Mario for him to the video.
- SMG4: If Mario Was In... Kirby Star Allies: Mario asks the demon if he had seen the latest SMG4 video, which so happens to be this episode.
- SMG4: Stupid Mario Paint: When Toadsworth attacks Mario, he knocks over the camera.
- SMG4: Mario SAW: Mario asks Luigi how his Saturday went. The reason this counts as a fourth wall break is due to SMG4 releasing episodes on Saturday.
- SMG4: The Mario Carnival: Bob mentions an upcoming War of the Fat Italians episode.
- SMG4: War Of The Fat Italians 2018: Waluigi points out how SMG4 is a YouTuber. Bob also mentions how he's disappointed over The Waluigi Arc's generic ending.
- SMG4: Mario and the Bob Mansion...: At the end of the episode, Bob asks the viewers to buy his Christmas shirt and that he'll "See [them] next time".
- SMG4: Mario and The Diss Track: After a Teletubby grabs away Bob's mansion, it leaves a void of nothingness.
- SMG4: Stupid Mario 3D World: Peach notes her first speaking role in 2019.
- SMG4: Mario and the Anime Challenge: Saiko mentions that she has to be in a segment of the video.
- SMG4: Mario's Illegal Operation: Luigi mentions that the banning of anime will lead to a series of events (such as arcs), though Mario believes otherwise.
- SMG4: Mario's Lemonade Stand: Meggy mentions trying to find Mario since two episodes ago (SMG4: Mario and the Anime Challenge).
- SMG4: The Mario Showdown: Mario mentions how he, Luigi, Tari, and Meggy are in a different plot arc from Axol, Saiko, Boopkins, Bob and SMG4. At the end of the episode, Bob complains about his almost total lack of lines.
- SMG4: World War Mario: Mario was asking SMG4 how his Thursday was. The reason it counts on this list is due to Tari's Live Stream - Animated Short - META RUNNER being released on the last Thursday before the video. Another fourth wall break occurs when Swagmaster tackles some anime characters in the bunker(?), knocking the camera over in the process.
- SMG4: Final Hours: Ultra Instinct Shaggy nods at the camera before flying off.
- SMG4: Mario Does The Chores: Near the end of the video, Meggy gets orange juice all over the camera.
- SMG4: There's Something Up With Meggy...: When Meggy's treehouse is being destroyed by Mario, the camera falls down due to the intensity of the demolition.
- SMG4: A Day In The Life Of Everyone: Bowser says he's been kidnapped by SMG3 for one month, explaining his frequent absences. That also may be the reason that he did not have a major role in The Anime Arc, unlike the other arcs.
- SMG4: The Minecraft Plague: Luigi brings up the fact that Mario was in Minecraft a few weeks ago, which happens to be SMG4: If Mario Was in... Minecraft, although it is possible that SMG4 told Luigi offscreen.
- SMG4: Mario Waits in Line For Some Spaghetti: Mario says he can't find any spaghetti after he stole all the town's supply from the last episode.
- SMG4: Super Mario Taxi has two instances:
- While escaping with Yoshi, Mario reverses into the camera.
- SMG4 explains to Meggy that he loops the same shop while driving to save time on editing.
- SMG4: SMG4 Runs Out of Memes: Bob ends up making the entire video look deep-fried in visual with his meme deep-fry machine.
- SMG4: The Weegee Uprising: When Shroomy mentions how convenient the existence of a time machine is, a Weegee-ized version of SMG4 is shown with a computer reading "Script".
- SMG4: My Mario Academia: Bob asks why the camera is on them.
- SMG4: Mario Gets His PINGAS Stuck In The Door: When several aliens come around, Bob criticizes SMG4 for putting them in, calling it "real original".
- SMG4: Mario School Club: When Boopkins opens "The box of mystery", Bob stops the video and says, that "This next clip is a mystery".
- SMG4: The E G G: Mario thinks, that end of this video must be more "manly".
- Seasons 1-3 had the most fourth wall breaks due to the characters acknowledging their existence in a simulated game.
- Though Mario is the character who breaks the fourth wall the most, Bob is more infamous for it.