|This is a featured article!
That means it's considered to be one of the best articles the SuperMarioGlitchy4 Wiki has to offer.
|STOP IT. THIS IS NOT OKIE-DOKIE.|
|⚠ Warning! Francis is a highly controversial character among the fanbase and is one of the leading causes of flame and flame edit wars! Please edit and comment with extreme caution!|
Reason: Being the main cause of Desti's death.
It may also contain inaccurate, misleading, or shocking content, take it all with a grain of salt or by touching grass!
He is the main antagonist of Season 9 and the Anime Arc, the posthumous overarching antagonist of Season 10, the Anime Arc Aftermath, SMG4 Movie: Meggy's Destiny, the first quarter of Season 11 and the Sunset Paradise Prelude, and a posthumous antagonist in following seasons.
He was a nerdy chameleon originating from Super Paper Mario. The founder and leader of the Anime Cartel, Francis first starting smuggling all things anime in and out of the Mushroom Kingdom, including anime-based citizens like Saiko Bichitaru, and later roped Mario and Tari into working for him to pay off Mario's accidental loss of their product. After Axol helped lift the Anime Ban, Francis was very disappointed of how he resolved things in a peaceful manner rather than using force. Also, intrigued by the power of Ink-Weaver, Francis reorganized the Anime Cartel into a full-on terrorist cell, capturing Axol and establishing Anime Island, kidnapping countless Inklings in order to fuel Inkweaver, which he had also stolen previously. He is also Meggy Spletzer's arch-nemesis.
The Anime Prohibition Incident
In SMG4: Mario's Illegal Operation, he made a reappearance as the boss of the Anime Cartel, a faction whose purpose is to smuggle anime pop culture in and out of the Mushroom Kingdom ever since its ban in SMG4: Mario and the Anime Challenge. He got angry when Mario lost the merchandise, so he had SMG4, Fishy Boopkins, and Bob Bobowski escort Saiko Bichitaru to Japan, while he made Mario stay and open a lemonade stand to recover his lost profits and merch.
In SMG4: Mario's Lemonade Stand, he and the rest of the Anime Cartel arrived at the street where Mario sells lemonade across the Moo Milk Factory to fight with Jeeves and his gang. After Meggy arrives to harshly lecture them for their behavior, he and Jeeves eventually reconcile.
In SMG4: Mario Saves Anime, Saiko called them to show them Axol, a famous manga artist who was helping them un-ban anime. He and the rest of the gang "praised" him and swarmed around Axol until then he drew the Dragon Ball character Krillin on a piece of pinned paper, who then charged up a shot and blasted most members of the cartel away. Francis was completely astounded with what just happened, as he originally thought that Saiko was the only character brought to real-life and asked Axol how he was able to bring Krillin to life. Boopkins explained that he uses his Inkweaver pen using Inkling Ink to bring his creations to life. Francis later bowed to Axol as he and the rest the cartel promptly agreed to do anything for him.
Machinations and Death
In SMG4: Mario and the Experiment, it was revealed that Francis and his Anime Cartel were the culprits behind the abductions of the Inklings and Axol, and was using Inkweaver for his own selfish desires. He planned to use the Inklings' ink to fully power up the Inkweaver so he could create his own "Waifu Island".
In SMG4: World War Mario, he drew up the False Sephiroth (from the Final Fantasy franchise) and revealed himself as the real mastermind, but got "defeated" by Mario and SMG4's teamwork, and the Ink Zuccer 2000 stopped draining Meggy's ink. However, he suddenly went as far as to kill Desti via Sephiroth impaling her on his katana, much to everyone's horror of what he just committed, all while laughing about it.
In his final appearance in SMG4: Final Hours, Francis appeared at the beginning, showing completely no remorse about Desti. He then proceeded to summon 100 False Sephiroths though they got dealt with. Francis attempted to draw more, but when he finished, nothing happened because the Inkweaver ran out of ink. Francis attempted to run away, but he was stopped, beaten up, and launched into The Ink Zuccer 2000, cracking it. Now with a 100% Inkweaver, Francis summoned Goku from the Dragon Ball franchise. While Goku beat up the group, he missed Axol, who kicked Francis and retook his pen, summoning Shaggy Rogers as a result. While Goku and Shaggy fought, Francis had been left vulnerable. A vengeful Saiko picks up a terrified Francis, threw him into a spare zuccer, and turned on its maximum power. Due to this, he screamed in pain and agony as he was slowly having his bodily fluids sucked out of his body.
Francis ultimately died fully along with his goons when Anime Island got destroyed by a huge explosion caused by Goku.
Despite his passing, Francis' actions had left serious repercussions, especially on Meggy. The trauma he inflicted on her caused her depression and to win the final Splatfest touranment, resulting in her not knowing what to do. He was also the reason why Shadow Meggy came to be, as he caused the negative emotions to build-up within her in the first place, and the trip to Port Aurora came to be, in the attempt to defuse the negative emotions within her.
In SMG4: WHAT IF...? in a alternate timeline where Francis managed to drain Inkopolis of its ink, Francis celebrated by setting his goal on the deepest and darkest secret he had; celebrating with anime waifus for his birthday.
Francis was an obnoxious, egotistical, and commanding chameleon who has an obsession with two things; anime and his waifus. He was shown to be very stingy and failure-intolerant, as he forbade Mario to join with his friends to go to Japan and ordered him to recover his profit that he lost to him.
It was later revealed that he was a power-hungry sociopath who was very possessive of Inkweaver, and was obsessed with his plans to create an island full of waifus for his own greedy desires, and if anyone dared opposed him, he would go as far as death. It is possible that the Inkweaver drove him insane with power, and he would have probably betrayed the rest of the Anime Cartel and not grant their wishes, as Axol attempted to warn two members of the Cartel that he will do so. Though his master plan was goofy on paper, he was also completely heartless and sadistic, as he went as far as stabbing Desti at the hands of his own creations, murdering her in the process, and even laughed insanely at the group for not paying attention to him. He also didn't care about the risk of Meggy dying via The Ink Zuccer 2000, even stating that she would live anyways, much to Axol's disgust.
Despite it all, Francis was a coward when defenseless, as he relied purely on the Inkweaver's power. When being cornered by the SMG4 gang, he attempted to make Desti's murder sound justified and stated they should be "rash'. When being held by the throat by Saiko, he claimed that he meant "no harm", but she then proceeded to kill him slowly and painfully in vengeance.
- SMG4: AREA 64
- SMG4: Doki Doki Mario Club
- SMG4: Mario's Illegal Operation
- SMG4: Mario's Lemonade Stand
- SMG4: The Japan Trip
- SMG4: Mario Saves Anime
- SMG4: Mario and the Experiment
- SMG4: World War Mario
- SMG4: Final Hours
- SMG4: The Day SMG4 Posted Cringe
- SMG4: Mario's Magical TV
- SMG4 Movie: Meggy's Destiny
- SMG4 Movie: 10 Year Anniversary Special
- SMG4: WHAT IF...?
- Kidnapping: He kidnapped Meggy Spletzer and all the other Inklings to create waifus.
- Illegal Operations: He was the leader of the Anime Cartel.
- Theft: He stole Axol's Inkweaver to make waifus.
- Murder: He got False Sephiroth to murder Desti.
- Illegal Smuggling: He smuggled anime in the beginning of The Anime Arc.
- Torture: He frequently tortured Meggy Spletzer and other Inklings.
- Attempted Genocide: He attempted to kill the entire Inkling race in order to to create his Anime waifus.
- Francis is the second recurring character to get killed off. The first being Desti, his victim.
- Francis being the antagonist was foreshadowed. Tari warned Mario that the Anime Cartel was bad news, as she mentioned in SMG4: Mario's Lemonade Stand. Furthermore, Bob asked if someone who liked waifus would ever resort to kidnapping, though it was also a joke. He also knew of Inkweaver. His base of operations is known as Anime Island.
- Francis is the only Arc villain that was defeated by being killed and not by a song.
- In The Waluigi Arc, Waluigi was defeated by hearing Wario's true feelings for him, making his rejection powers disappear & feeling accepted.
- In The Rapper Bob Arc, Saiko and the gang made a Music video revealing all of Bob's schemes that he used them in to get famous, leading to Bob losing all his fans to Saiko. Waluigi later showed Bob that his friends mean everything to him, making the Garo tell his old fans that he's retiring from his rapping career, leading to having his relationship redeemed with SMG4 & the others, officially accepting Bob as a member of the gang again.
- In The YouTube Arc, after being defeated by SMG4, his friends, and even his own gang in the rap battle, Susan Wojcicki banishes SMG3 to The Internet Graveyard for all the stuff he's done to her, Mario, SMG4 and his gang, & even his own.
- In the Genesis Arc, SMG0 was defeated after Melony entered his mind in the Rap Battle and was slained from the inside by killing off Axol inside.
- Among the arc antagonists, he is the first arc antagonist not to get redeemed at any point and is also the first arc antagonist to be killed in the end. (Though it is not officially confirmed that he was killed and people speculated he did, but chances are he more likely was killed by the violent explosion and while being sucked to death by the spare Ink Zuccer.)
- Francis is the latest major character in SMG4 to originate from a pre-existing franchise.
- Francis shares his characteristics with Lotso from Toy Story 3.
- Both of them started off on the heroes side.
- Both are considered extremely vile.
- Both are the arch-nemesis of a major character. Meggy Spletzer for Francis, Woody for Lotso.
- Both of them are known as dangerous and tyrannical for their mass kidnapping. Francis kidnapped all of the Inklings and bring them to Anime Island while Lotso imprisoned numerous toys and in the Sunnyside Daycare Center.
- Both of them imprisoned their victims. Francis imprisons the Inklings in tubes, Meggy and Axol in their cells, while Lotso imprisoned the toys in the Caterpillar Room.
- Both of them use their abusive methods towards their victims. Francis uses The Ink Zuccer 2000 to absorb all of the ink from the Inklings while Lotso had toys tortured in the Caterpillar Room.
- However, unlike Lotso, who was tied up on the truck's front grill with a few other toys with the same garbage man has collected earlier, Francis was trapped inside a zuccer by Saiko, then dies when Anime Island exploded.
- Francis' eyes might be very small because, in SMG4: World War Mario, when his glasses are knocked off, he has small square dot eyes underneath.
- According to Luke and Kevin, their reason for making Francis the villain of the Anime Arc was because they found him unlikable and his face very punchable.
- This also explains his adaptational villainy since his character in Super Paper Mario in personality are nothing alike except their love for anime.
- He was referenced as one of the "arc villains" in SMG4's 10 Year Anniversary MOVIE Trailer, but being presumably dead, he's the only one who doesn't make an appearance in The SMG4 Movie: 10 Year Anniversary Special except through a callback montage.
- Francis is one of two arc villains to never redeem themselves at any point in the SMG4 series, and instead killed off, the other was SMG0.
- Francis’ death is arguably one of the more gruesome ones in the series, as he has his bodily fluids sucked out of his body via a spare Ink Zuccer and is then fatally incinerated in the explosion of Anime Island.
- Francis is the only Arc Villain to never appear in a thumbnail.