SMG4: Boys vs Girls is the forty-second episode of Season 9 and the five hundred and fortieth overall to be uploaded by SMG4.
This episode was aired on November 16, 2019.
The SMG4 Crew visits a bootcamp run by Shroomy. Apparently, the crew were forced there by Peach for being too obsessive over video games, but to Shroomy's understanding, she wants them to connect with nature.
After Shroomy finished a tour around the camp, the boys stole the camp house that was first chosen by the girls, presumably because it had better beds and was bigger. Later that night, the girls discuss competition tactics while the boys discuss whether masturbation was a sport or not.
In the morning, Shroomy introduced the gang to abseiling. Despite the fact that he said that it was no competition, the others didn't listen. When it was Bowser vs Saiko, the latter won while Bowser crashed onto a ledge. When it was Axol vs Tari, the former won while Tari remained frightened. When it was Mario vs Meggy, the former tried cheating by attempting to fool her using a phone call. It appeared to have worked with Meggy wondering who was supposedly her mother while Mario dashed down to the floor. Just as he celebrated his "victory", he saw Meggy staring at him waiting, causing him to realise that the boys lost.
Being sore losers, the boys trashed the girls' camp house that night. The girls then dumped them on their mattresses onto a river. They wake up, only to be teased by the girls (except Tari). Provoked, Mario suddenly transformed into Jotaro Kujo, and declared war on the girls, only for the boys to get eaten by a Cheep Chomp off-guard.
Throughout the days, the two groups fight each other in various ways: Mario ran over Meggy in a yacht, Tari used the Inkweaver to create a seductive Carl Wheezer to prank Axol, Saiko made Bowser catch a spiked ball while playing volleyball, Mario and Axol taunt Tari through "spooky" messages, Meggy spicing up Mario's Spaghetti, and Bowser trying to scare Saiko (only to get kicked in the face).
One morning, the boys set up a bear attack on the girls. When the bear beats Tari, she ended up bursting into tears. The girls were angry against the boys, claiming that they took it too far. Eventually, the boys apologized for taking it too far. However, they had to play one more game.
The boys have to run around the field searching for a flag while being hunted down by the girls with paint guns. All the boys lost and the girls officially forgive them although Mario showed he was not letting this off by flipping Meggy off.
Reception and Criticisms
The episode was controversial upon release and is often considered to be among some of the worst episodes of the show. Fans criticized the girls for appearing to be rather hypocritical towards the boys, in particular when Meggy called the boys out for taking things too far when they have a bear beat Tari to the ground, despite not caring at all when they had a Cheep Chomp eat the boys, had Bowser catch a spiked ball, caused Axol to be presumably sexually assaulted by Carl Wheezer, and caused Mario's spaghetti to light him on fire. Some compared the video to Mario VS Sonic: PRANK BATTLE, stating that that video is better.
Most of the fans were also disappointed that the boys were the ones to apologize, given that the girls' actions were seen as far too extreme and never apologize to the boys. Some even went as far as to call SMG4 a feminist, though others argue that this is not the case due to the unlikelihood that SMG4 would include political subjects in his videos.
Additionally, Axol is out of character in this episode, having him act as mischievous as Mario and Bowser rather than the generous, sympathetic character he usually is.
Most fans of the SMG4 brand also began to insult the way the girls are written in the series as a whole, taking the topic of the episode as an excuse to do so, by pointing out their unlikable traits and exaggerating the ratio compared to their acceptable traits.
- This is the fourth episode that was unpopular among fans, the first being S̶M̶6̶4̶: `•.¸¸.•´´¯`••. .• ( Tubbie TV ) •. .••`¯´´•.¸¸.•`, the second being SM64 bloopers: The Idea block. and the third being SM64: Mario joins the Circus.
- This is the fourth episode to feature Meggy as an antagonist, the first three being SMG4: Mad Mario, SMG4: There's Something Up With Meggy... and SMG4: Untitled Mario Video.
- This blooper implies that Meggy has a mother. However, both the identity and whereabouts of her parents are unknown.
- This is Kermit The Frog's first appearance in the flesh since SMG4: Mario's Illegal Operation, as SMG4: War Of The Fat Italians 2019 only featured a replica created by Inkweaver.
- This is Axol and Bowser's first time in a video together.
- This is Shroomy’s first major role since SMG4: Mario Raids Area 51 nearly 4 months prior.
- Total Drama: This blooper is based on this Canadian animated series, where in some events can have boys vs girls.
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: This is the first time Mario was in his Jotaro form.