SMG4: If Mario Was In.... SQUID GAME is the thirty-eighth episode of Season 11 and the six hundred and fifty overall to be uploaded by SMG4.
- 1 Synopsis
- 2 Plot
- 3 Characters
- 4 Deaths
- 5 Continuity
- 6 Music used
- 7 Reception
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
Mario and the SMG4 crew all end up in Squid Game and their friendships are TRULY put to the test.
Everyone is invited to the Game, hosted by Hideo and sponsored by the Sony PlayStation, who had selected them because of their poor and desperate situation they are in. Wario, in particular, wanted the prize among anyone else, and will try to do anything to eliminate everyone, including Mario. Hideo briefed the participants that they will participate in Korean kid games in order to win the prize.
Red Light Green Light
Everyone must move to the other side of the line in 1 minute, but only if they walked on the 'green light'; walking on 'red light' after the Doll finished her sentence and looking behind meant being eliminated and sent to a Sony game, which also revealed the purpose of the Game: for Sony to monopolize the gaming market by taking Nintendo and other game characters. A majority of the participants were eliminated, and at the last minute, Mario managed to beat the Doll by using a Luma as a Super Star to avoid being shot.
Participants were tasked to carve a shape in a dalgona. Breaking the shape gets the participant shot. Wario stole a carved shape from another participant, while Mario idiotically ate his heart-shaped dalgona, causing Luigi to perform the Heimlich maneuver to spit out his heart instead, confusing the Pink Soldiers, but Mario, alongside the other crew, still makes it to the next one.
Participants are grouped into teams and they play tug-of-war, with the losing side plummeting to their death. Mario, with teammates Luigi, Meggy, Shroomy and Hal, successfully defeated a team led by SMG4.
Participants in pairs were to play marbles, with the losing participant being shot. Wario won over Waluigi, even though they still treated each other with care, while Mario easily defeated Hobo by surprising him.
Participants are to cross a bridge made out of glass panels, only to note that half of the glass panels are loose and anyone stepping on them plummet to their death. Wario decided to take advantage of Steve to find out if one of the panels is loose by pushing him, only that Steve had stone with him, making a bridge. Wario, desperate to take the money, pushed Luigi much to the horror of Mario, but Steve had enough with Wario antagonizing everyone that he jumped off the bridge, taking Wario with him.
Mario and Meggy are the only participants left, with the final game trying to shoot each other with Splattershots, despite Mario and Meggy noting the striking resemblance to Splatfest. After a much heated confrontation, Mario emerged victorious by spitting his dalgona at Meggy, giving him enough time to shoot her from behind.
Everyone could not believe that Mario won, and while Meggy was angered that he cheated, Luigi noted that other people cheated to survive and Meggy accepted it disappointed. Hideo bestowed Mario a lifetime supply of PlayStation 5s, much to the latter's shock as he thought he was given money and was blasted with an onslaught of consoles. The text revealed that Sony was running out of PS5s because of this, thus explaining their desperation to monopolize the market.
- Saiko Bichitaru
- Belle Fontiere
- JubJub Boopkins
- Rob the Scarecrow
- Chris Gordman
- Hal Monitor
- Bob Bobowski
- Fishy Boopkins
- Pink Soldiers
- Koopa Troopa
- Cube the Penguin
- Weegee Doll
- Tom Nook
- Monty Mole
- Yui Hirasawa
- Lanky Kong
- Bullet Bill
- Falco Lombardi
- Big Smoke
- Crusty Sean
- Waddle Dee
- Bonzi Buddy
- Mr. Krabs
- Crash Bandicoot
- Doc Louis
- Heavy Weapons Guy
- Diddy Kong
- Squidward Tentacles
- Colonel Sanders
- Carl Wheezer
This episode currently has the highest amount of deaths in the series, with a total of 85 (86 if you count Bob being killed by N in the opening advertisement) kills because of the huge amount of characters that appeared in the blooper. However, it is revealed in the end that none of the contestants permanently died, instead being simply disqualified from the game:
- Bob got killed by N.
- Bob is shot by the Doll after getting caught while moving on a red light.
- Roy, Spider-Man, Monty Mole, Birdo, Ness, Smoke, Cube, and Red all get shot trying to barge open the doors.
- Tari and Whimpu scream in terror and confusion and get shot because of it.
- Rob gets shot trying to get through wearing a corn vending machine.
- A bunch of Goombas, Koopas, Boos, Bullet Bills and Montys are killed while trying to rush to the doll.
- Saiko gets shot attempting to attack the doll.
- Doc and a Bullet Bill get shot from moving.
- Spy gets shot after his cloaking ability wears off and gets exposed.
- Spamton gets shot after his phone rings.
- Fishy gets shot trying to defend himself with his waifu pillow while on a red light.
- Cuphead trips and winds up getting shot.
- SMG3 is eliminated by default after he gets thrown and locked in a chest by Steve for trying to get him killed.
- Heavy gets set on fire trying to walk away from the doll.
- More Goombas, Koopas, Montys and Bullet Bills are all ran over by Wario and Waluigi in their car.
- Mario absorbs a Luma into him as a makeshift Super Star.
- A Toad gets shot for breaking his honeycomb.
- JubJub gets kicked and gets shot.
- Swag and Chris both get shot after Swag accidentally destroys their dalgona's.
- Crusty gets punched by Wario.
- Lanky gets shot screaming.
- Isabelle gets killed knowing that she's going to die.
- Weegee Doll gets shot for doing nothing.
- Mario got his heart being taken out of his body by Luigi before he got killed by Soldier.
- SMG4, Melony, Bowser, Jeeves and Krabs all fall off the ledge after they lose Tug-o-War.
- Waluigi had all his marbles stolen by Wario he said he loves Wario too before he was shot
- Hobo gets jumpscared and has a heart attack from the note reading "BOO!".
- Belle had all her marbles stolen by Meggy and was shot
- Hal had all his marbles stolen by Steve and was shot
- Shroomy had all his marbles stolen by Luigi and was shot
- Squidward, Colonel, Donkey, Carl (because of his weight) and Joker fall from jumping on the weak glass.
- Dipsy gets kicked onto the weak glass and falls by Wario.
- Wario punches Luigi off the bridge Steve made.
- Steve sacrifices himself by dropping himself and Wario off the bridge.
- Meggy gets shot from behind by Mario.
- SMG4: What If Mario Had $10,000,000?: This episode continues were the last one left off. Luigi also mentions that "someone" gambled all their money away
- It is also revealed that the slap Mario got hit with at the very end of that blooper knocked him unconscious, most likely giving Hideo enough time to bring his unconscious body to the game.
- The Mario Channel: MARIO'S CHALLENGE: This blooper shares an eerily similar plot to this blooper of The Mario Channel. Both share a similar formula of the characters racing for a prize, with countless competitors being eliminated along the way. The blooper even references the Pit floor of Mario's tower, with a huge majority of the participants killed.
- SMG4: If Mario Moves, He Dies: The blooper's start is eerily reminiscent to the start of this blooper, as both of these premiered in October. Additionally, the plot of a Squid Game blooper was inspired by this blooper's plot.
- SMG4 Movie: Meggy's Destiny: Mario and Meggy competing in 1v1 Splatoon parody challenge references to how they won the final Splatfest.
|Can I sing a song for you?|
|This music list is incomplete and needs to be completed. Any user is obliged to do so.|
- 01:22 - Pink Soldiers; Squid Game (presumably an edited version to prevent copyright)
- 01:33 - Battlefield; Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (E3 Version/Unused)
- 12:53 - Viva la Vida; Coldplay or Fallen Kingdom (A Minecraft parody song of Viva La Vida by CaptainSparklez and TryHardNinja)
The episode received generally positive reviews with a 7.5 on IMDb.
- This episode can be considered to be the 2021 Halloween special, with it releasing the day before Halloween, and focusing on a horror series. This is the first Halloween episode to not be based on any English-language franchise or movie (except the 3 seconds of the opening advertisement which is referring Halloween Kills) and the first episode based on an Asian series (which is it based on a show from South Korea).
- It is debatable that the SMG4 gang survived the events of last episode
- This blooper marks the returns of a whole bunch of characters that weren't used a lot in the season:
- SMG3 and Shroomy since SMG4: War Of The Fat Italians 2021.
- SMG3's long streak of absences during October 2021 is because he told SMG4 not to mess with him on Saturdays, which he calls "Special SMG3 Time", thus explaining his long absences.
- Steve, Carl, Krabs, Waluigi, Hobo, Bowser and Squidward since SMG4: If Mario Was In... Nickelodeon, and the first physical appearances of Waluigi, Hobo and Bowser since SMG4: If Mario Moves, He Dies.
- Jeeves and JubJub since SMG4: Stupid Mario Golf, revealing that Jeeves is indeed still alive despite being transformed into tickets by Matt.
- Belle and Rob since SMG4: If Mario Moves, He Dies, as well as Rob's first speaking role since SMG4 Movie: 10 Year Anniversary Special, over 5 months since.
- Cube since SMG4: Doomsday but Mario is Okay, and his first physical appearance since SMG4: Mario's Internet Safety.
- The Anti-Cast Weegee Doll and Kirby since SMG4: If Mario Moves, He Dies.
- Tom since SMG4: Mario and the VILLAGE.
- Spider-Man since SMG4: The Final Piece.
- Lanky and Diddy since SMG4: SMG4 🅴🆇🅿🅰🅽🅳🆂 His Brain.
- Jigglypuff since SMG4: The Bed..
- Ness and Spy since SMG4: Mario's Internet Safety.
- Falco since SMG4: War Of The Fat Italians 2020.
- Smoke since SMG4: If Mario Was In Friday Night Funkin 2.
- Dipsy since SMG4: The Other Universe.
- Crash since SMG4: MARIOS OKAY.
- Cuphead and Kratos since SMG4: Mario's Bed and Breakfast.
- Heavy since SMG4: If Mario Was In... Anime.
- Colonel since SMG4: WHAT IF...?.
- SMG3 and Shroomy since SMG4: War Of The Fat Italians 2021.
- This is the first episode where a Deltarune character appears outside of a Deltarune related video.
- In the actual series this blooper is based on, when a player gets eliminated/killed, the guards put their corpse in a present-like coffin boxes to cremate them; meanwhile in this video when a player gets eliminated/killed, they get sent to a PlayStation game.
- This concept was referenced by Steve when he shoves SMG3's body in a chest.
- This episode contains the largest collection of characters since the SMG4 Movie: 10 Year Anniversary Special. Most of the characters are poor and desperate, alluding to the theme of capitalism and economic disparity shown in the original series.
- It is also tied with SMG4: War Of The Fat Italians 2020 for having the second most characters in an SMG4 video, at 71 characters.
- However, unlike SMG4 Movie: 10 Year Anniversary Special, It features more deaths than it.
- The episode is very similar to The Mario Channel: MARIO'S CHALLENGE, which also had obstacles to get through to win the prize while everyone failed and died. The most obvious difference is that at the end, everyone lived.
- Meggy has suffered a narrow defeat at both Mario's Challenge and the Squid Game.
- Weegeepie did a similar fanmade SMG4 video a day prior on October 29 (the same day that Murder Drones's pilot episode premiere on SMG4's sister channel GLITCH). Interestingly enough, he predicted the ending well.
- This episode could be interpreted as a continuation of SMG4: Nintendo Gets Deleted, as both episodes involve an event orchestrated by Sony Headquarters.
- Ironically, Crash Bandicoot, the game Mario found himself in after he gets owned by Sony, reappears as the stage in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royal that Bob got trapped in after he is killed.
- This is the first time a character (N in this case) has their G-Mod model revealed soon after their show started (Tari was revealed before her show was revealed, and Belle was revealed long after the show's first season ended, although the appearance of N at the beginning is non canonical to either SMG4 or Murder Drones since is only for sponsoring the series.
- He does, however, make a second appearance in Mario Reacts to Spooky Memes but Dies half way through, where he is (debatably) canonically introduced to the cast in that episode.
- Once again, another certain subtitle is hidden by another subtitle. And it is Hideo's line at 02:38.
- The thumbnail for this blooper is reminiscent to the Season 8 post-Retarded64 blooper SMG4: Freddy's Ultimate Custom Spaghetteria.
- Although SMG3 speaks, he doesn't actually use any subtitles in this blooper. He also doesn't use his SM64 model.
- This is the first Halloween special to not be horror-themed since Season 7's SMG4 Halloween 2017: Trick Or Treat Wars, over four years prior.
- Dipsy is called "Teletubbie".
- Click here for the placements for each competitor
- Bob: 62nd
- Yui Hirasawa: 61st
- Roy: 60th
- Spider-Man: 59th
- Monty: 58th
- Birdo: 57th
- Ness: 56th
- Smoke: 55th
- Cube: 54th
- Red: 53rd
- Whimpu: 52nd
- Tari: 51st
- Rob: 50th
- Saiko: 49th
- Doc: 48th
- Bullet Bill: 47th
- Spy: 46th
- Spamton: 45th
- Fishy: 44th
- Cuphead: 43rd
- SMG3: 42nd
- Heavy: 41st
- Goombas: 40th, 39th and 38th
- Monty: 37th
- Bullet Bill: 36th
- Luma: 35th
- Toad: 34th
- JubJub: 33rd
- Swag: 32nd
- Chris: 31st
- Crusty: 30th
- Lanky Kong: 29th
- Isabel: 28th
- Weegee Doll: 27th
- SMG4: 26th
- Melony: 25th
- Bowser: 24th
- Krabs: 23rd
- Jeeves: 22nd
- Waluigi: 21st
- Hobo: 20th
- Belle: 19th
- Hal: 18th
- Shroomy: 17th
- Squidward: 16th
- Colonel: 15th
- Donkey: 14th
- Carl: 13th
- Joker: 12th
- Teletubbie: 11th
- Luigi: 10th
- Steve: 9th
- Wario: 8th
- Meggy: 2nd/runner up
- Mario: 1st/winner
- Beeg SMG4 makes a cameo as SMG4's dalgona cutout.
- Squid Game: The episode is an obvious parody of the South Korean thriller drama created by Hwang Dong-hyuk. It even includes all the games in it, except the final one which is based on Ojingo in the show. The cast is parodied with:
- Mario as Seong Gi-hun
- Meggy as Cho Sang-woo/Kang Sae-byeok
- Wario as Jang Deok-su
- Luigi as Abdul Ali
- Steve as Han Mi-nyeo
- Hobo as Oh Il-nam
- Hideo as The Front Man
- Splatoon: The final game in the episode is obviously a knock-off of this game, as both Meggy and Mario participated in the Splatfest a year ago.
- Final Fantasy: After dying, the characters "vaporize" away in a red tint while the Final Fantasy 7 "enemy defeated" sound effect plays.
- Minecraft: Unlike all other characters, Hobo dies in the style of this game: falling over while turning red, then disappearing in a cloud of smoke, leaving his items.
- Halloween Kills: In the opening advertisement when Mario opens the door he sees N lifting Bob up and he gets stabbed when he closes the door which is a reference to the 2021 horror movie Halloween Kills where Michael Myers lifts a firefighter and kills him