SMG4: Mario SAW is the thirty-sixth episode of Season 8 and the four hundred and twenty-ninth overall to be uploaded by SMG4.
So Luigi, how's your Saturday been?
The video begins with Mario waking up. He wondered if he partied really hard yesterday. Then he noticed Luigi asleep, wondering if he ate too much spaghetti last night. He then fully woke up, finding himself and Luigi in a room with a chain tied to his leg and a Piranha Plant mouth on his head. He wondered what was going on, observing the Piranha Plant mouth on his head (which he mistook for an ugly hat) and the chain that was tied to his leg. Luigi then woke up, fearfully asking whether they might die or not. Mario then told Luigi that it was probably one of the fans that kidnapped him, before being interrupted by a person wearing a Majora's Mask replica on a screen. The person asked the duo if they wanted to play a game. Luigi panicked, whereas Mario asked if they could play a particular game.
The person instead said that in thirty seconds, the Piranha Plant heads would close on their heads, although Mario ignored that and wanted to play something else. As the person tried to resume, he was interrupted by Mario a couple of times over how the "game" was boring. Annoyed, the person glitched out and the clock started to count down from 30 seconds. Luigi panicked, telling Mario to help him, even though Mario slammed himself on the wall in an attempt to get the Piranha Plant on his head off of him. 20 seconds remained, and Luigi asked the Piranha Plant to get off his head in a nice tone, but instead, the plant bit down harder on the green cap plumber, sending him into a total panic. 10 seconds remained, and Mario tried to saw the chain off his leg, while Luigi laid on the floor hopeless. 5 seconds remained, and Mario boasted that he could not die like this. Suddenly, the two Piranha Plants got off the brothers' heads and greeted each other. They then walked off, with the person wearing the Majora's Mask looking in confusion. The chain unlocked both brothers' feet, with Mario celebrating while Luigi remains in shock. Then two more chains locked themselves onto the brothers' feet, dragging them into a dark tunnel.
Mario and Luigi kept on getting dragged by the chains, entering into the Tunnel of Doom, where they noticed a tunnel filled with obstacles. Luigi managed to avoid some of the obstacles, while Mario barely dodged any of them. They then approached a Whomp, and although Luigi managed to go under it, Mario got stuck due to his obesity. The person wearing the Majora's Mask then sped up the chains dragging Mario and Luigi, resulting in the Whomp being dragged with Mario. At the end of the tunnel, the game's mastermind met them in person (only for Mario to throw things at him in anger), sending them to the next room as payback.
The Mario Bros. then found themselves in a room full of lava where they were hanging onto chains with buttons attached to their legs. The person told them that one of them needed to press the button attached to their leg, which would send them falling to their doom, while the other one advanced. If none of them pressed the button, they would both die from the rising lava. Luigi panicked over the idea, while Mario threw multiple items at the chains hanging him. Luigi eventually suggested that Mario swung over to him, although this proved unsuccessful. Luigi looked at the lava, and, with no other choice, told Mario that he was going to do the unthinkable; press the button to fall into the lava.
Mario pleaded with Luigi to not do so, but despite this, sacrificed himself, leaving his older brother into tears. Suddenly, Luigi commented that the lava tasted weird, with Mario in surprise, and then revealed that the "lava" was actually just watermelon-flavored, really warm Kool-Aid. The person then commented on the show, leaving Mario furious. He eventually drains the Kool-Aid room with a green pipe, bringing Luigi with it, and sends Mario to the "Bonus Round".
Mario then fell into a chair in a dark room and was cuffed to it. He was asked by the person with the Majora's Mask if he wanted to play a game, to which he simply answered no. The person said that the game was about Mario truthfully answering his question, which was: "Will you be my friend?". Mario obviously said no repeatedly, even though the person said "Please". The person then laughed, ultimately revealing himself to be none other than Waluigi. Mario, in total ambushed shock, instantly recognized Waluigi, who thanked Mario for rejecting him, laughing villainy, and turning into his super-power mode and teleporting in front of the red plumber, who, still in terror, claimed Waluigi had gone insane.
Waluigi replied by revealing his flashback where he sent approximately one thousand emails to the Mushroom Kingdom to come to a fake birthday party. Every single person he sent his email to had rejected it, with Luke Lerdwichagul (because his memes were bad), Wario (apparently because he had a date with some KFC chicken), Meggy (who pointed out the outcome from SMG4: Mario And The T-Pose Virus), and Bob the Builder (who simply replied no) commenting on it. For every rejection he got from every person, Waluigi became more powerful, until Mario was the sole exception as he accepted the email, commenting if there would be food there. After the flashback, Mario realized that Waluigi set up the obstacle course and made him think Luigi died just so that he could hate him. Waluigi confirmed this himself, and before he opened up a portal, he told Mario that they would meet again. Mario was left in the dark room, wondering what would happen next. He also commented that his behind itched and the episode ends on a cliffhanger.
- Wiggler (Pain Train Trap)
- Bullet Bill (Pain Train Trap)
- Rock (as an item Mario used to free himself from his chain)
- Crazy Raisin Lady (as an item Mario used to free himself from his chain)
- Luke Lerdwichagul (rejected Waluigi's invitation)
- Wario (rejected Waluigi's invitation, and was also mentioned by Waluigi when he wished his brother cared for him as much as Luigi cares about Mario.)
- Meggy Spletzer (rejected Waluigi's invitation)
- Bob the Builder (rejected Waluigi's invitation)
- The Waluigi Arc:
- SMG4: Mario And The T-Pose Virus: Meggy mentions the reason she does not want to come to Waluigi's party: He caused the entire Mushroom Kingdom to be T-Posed.
- SMG4: The Mario Café: Waluigi in that episode mentioned a new plan, which he executed in this episode.
- SMG4: Mario The Ultimate Gamer: Mario mentions Super Smash each other in the ass Bros. in the hope that he gets to play that game.
- SMG4: The Mario Carnival: A Majora's Mask replica later shows up in that episode. Bob Bobowski also mentions how Waluigi went insane as his carnival scamming business has been booming.
- SMG4: Mario The Scam Artist: The prequel to that episode.
- 00:07 - (ominous music when Mario wakes up)
- 01:24 - (dramatic music when timer starts)
- 02:03 - (suggestive song in g minor when piranha plants meet
- 02:13 - Elmo’s World, Sesame Street
- 02:27 - Game Won, Dr. Luigi
- 02:35 - (background when travelling down Tunnel of Doom)
- 03:48 - Menu Theme, BattleBlock Theater
- 04:26 - (creepy music when punishment round is announced)
- 04:41 - (dramatic music when The Floor is Lava is revealed)
- 05:59 - Luma, Super Mario Galaxy
- 06:37 - File Select, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
- 06:47 - Mario Party 1 & 2 – Bowser’s Theme (remix), Qumu
- 07:35 - Main Theme, The Price Is Right
- 07:55 - (ambient music when Mario is trapped in chair)
- 08:32 - "Artificial Dreams", "Gavin Luke"
- At 2:39, the chain on Mario's SM64 Model has a chain around his left leg instead of his right leg.
- At 4:04, the chain that is attached to Mario is not present.
- At certain parts of the video such as at 5:03, the "M" on Mario's cap is missing.
- At 6:03, Mario's name is misspelled as "Marip".
- At 7:16, the TV shows Waluigi (albeit in his disguise) clearly instead of having a filter to it.
- At 7:23, Mario's name is misspelled "Marip" once again in the video.
- Along with providing the basis for the plot of the blooper, one SAW poster (a one for the 2004 film which features a woman, which is presumably Amanda, a character from the first trilogy of Saw films, in a Reverse Bear Trap on a black background) was the inspiration for the thumbnail. Despite this, there are a few differences, such as a Pirahna Plant replacing the Reverse Bear Trap, the generic red text saying "Saw" being replaced with the stylized Saw logo, and Mario obviously replacing Amanda.
- This is the fourth SMG4 video to place a greater emphasis on horror rather than comedy, the first three being SM64 Bloopers: Can the Villager come out to play?, SMG4: Doki Doki Mario Club and SMG4: Mario And The T-Pose Virus.
- Fishy Boopkins voice can be heard at 1:58 but it is actually the Piranha Plant who used that voice.
- Mario asking Luigi how his Saturday went counts as a Fourth Wall break due to SMG4's release day.
- After this blooper, SMG4's channel banner was updated showing Waluigi, very small and behind the SMG4 logo, probably to add eeriness, as well as to hint at his return.
- This is the Crazy Raisin Lady's first appearance since SM64: Super Mario RUN RUN RUN!.
- The antagonist's identity was foreshadowed when he said that he "wished that his brother loved him that much".
- Oddly, during the tunnel scene, Mario and Luigi use their alternate models which are normally reserved for whenever they're wearing extra clothing, except here they're wearing their default clothes.
- This is the last blooper to use the Glitchy boy intro and also the last appearance as glitchy boy before being renamed in the next Blooper
- Saw: This episode's name is based on James Wan's Saw franchise. This episode references the plot where Jigsaw, Saw's serial killer pitting his victims in deathtraps to test their will to live.
- Batman: Arkham: The plot is also similar to a sidequest in the video game, Batman: Arkham City, where the Riddler begins testing Batman's intelligence by having him put a medical team in death traps around the titular prison Arkham City as hostages and daring Batman to save them. Additionally, when Waluigi asks Mario to be his friend, he is holding a Riddler Trophy, a recurring item from said series.