SMG4: Mario and The Backrooms is the thirty-first episode of Season 11 and the six hundred and thirty-tenth overall to be uploaded by SMG4.
It is the ninth episode of the Genesis Arc, and Niles' Ax0l form makes his debut. It was aired on August 28th, 2021.
Mario clips out of the world and ends up in the backrooms. Things get very very weird.
Continuing from the previous episode, Mario woke up and found himself falling out of the world, and ended up in some backrooms, with no form of contact available. Trying to investigate, Mario stumbled upon a creature and ran. When the creature cornered him, he attacked it by throwing a shoe, and the creature was revealed to be SMG4. Back at the doomsday bunker, he and the gang (even Meggy despite having a brawl with him, she was also worried about him) was searching for Mario in the bunker. SMG4 refuses to believe Mario escaped since there's no exit. Bob (who is tied up) protests SMG4's statement, only to be told off. SMG4 decides to pee, but he is dragged into the toilet and into the backrooms.
They decided to find an exit, where they both stumbled upon a ? block. Hitting the question block, they found a corrupted Goomba and gave chase to it. As they caught up to it, the Goomba told them to not go any further before exploding. Stumbling across a door, they found what appeared to be a birthday party, with the hats of Mario and the SMGs as presents. The room then glitched, spawning the messages "GO BACK", so the duo hurried themselves to the exit, leading to another set of backrooms, where they met SMG3, who got here in the same scenario as well. Then, a monster named SCP-682 showed up, causing them to run and find an elevator that leads to the exit.
The three ended up back in the cathedral in the Dark Web, where they saw Axol near SMG3's USB, and he was acting weird, switching personalities. As the real Axol warned SMG4 to escape (and told him he was the one who left the messages in the backrooms), he mutated into Ax0l, the manifestation of Zero, who hurled SMG4 to open the USB that sucked the SMGs and Mario into it. After they were sucked in and the Guardian Pod closes, the newly possessed Ax0l stares menacingly at the camera with his bulging eye, ending the episode on a cliffhanger.
- Long Smg4
- Meggy Spletzer
- Bob Bobowski
- Saiko Bichitaru
- Fishy Boopkins
- SMG1 and SMG2
- Dead Memes
- 0:23, 1:13 - Death By Glamour; Undertale
- 1:09 - specialist; Persona 4: Dancing All Night
- 2:16 - Joke's End; Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
- 2:28 - Victory!; Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
- 4:36 - It's Showtime; Undertale
- 4:42, 4:59 - Dry Dry Ruins Quest: Paper Mario
- 4:50 - Still, the Road Is Full of Dangers; Super Mario RPG
- 5:13 - Battle Theme: Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
- 6:50 - Let's Try; Super Mario RPG
- 9:37, 10:06 - Dancer of the Boreal Valley; Dark Souls 3
- SCP-682 crashed into elevator door.
- The Goomba blows up after warning Mario and SMG4 to not go any further.
- Genesis Arc:
- This episode confirms that Axol was indeed mutated/corrupted by Niles in SMG4: The Day HE Arrived.
- Said assimilation resulted in a design overhaul to Ax0l's face. His original scar is gone, but he has a MUCH bigger one on the other side of his face, and he has conjoined horns that represent a 0.
- Although Meggy had argued with Mario in the previous episode, in this episode, she was very worried about Mario like at the convention when Waluigi carried out a surprise invasion.
- Bob being tied to a chair when everyone was looking for Mario, was likely done up so he wouldn't try to escape again.
- For the first time a serious possession with corruption was shown.
- Once again, SMG4, Mario & SMG3 are a team, also making this the second episode where SMG3 has a major role in the arc.
- This is SMG3's first major appearance since SMG4 Movie: 10 Year Anniversary Special
- This is one of the few times that the end credits theme doesn't play.
- The end credits also have a slightly darker shade of blue then the normal.
- Running gag: Someone saying "Time to take a piiiiiiss!" whenever they have to use the bathroom to urinate.
- After this episode, the channel banner was updated to SMG4, SMG3, and Mario heading towards 0 to save Axol, who is now corrupted into Ax0l, with Niles covering more of the right side of the banner.
- This is the tenth SMG4 video to place a greater emphasis on horror rather than comedy, the first seven being SM64 Bloopers: Can the Villager come out to play?, SMG4: Doki Doki Mario Club, SMG4: Mario And The T-Pose Virus, SMG4: Mario SAW, SMG4: The Mario Purge (Halloween 2018), SMG4: Mario vs IT 🤡, SMG4: The Weegee Uprising, SMG4: The Demon Among Us, SMG4: TEXTURES NOT FOUND, and SMG4: The Day HE Arrived..
- This was uploaded exactly 5 years after the release of SM64 Bloopers: Can Ganondorf come out to play?, which marks Bob Bobowski's 5th anniversary as a character on this channel.
- Unfortunately in this video, he only had a small cameo due to the fact he's only a minor character in the arc this video takes place in.
- The Matrix Revolutions: This blooper is an obvious parody to this film directed by The Wachowskis and starring Keanu Reeves.
- The backrooms is a reference to Mobil Ave.
- SCP-682 is a reference to the Trainman.
- The scene where Axol mutated into Ax0l is reference to the scene where the Oracle got assimilated by one of Smiths and turns into one of them.
- The video's thumbnail references the "Floating boy chasing running boy" meme.
- The Backrooms: The blooper references the creepypasta inspired by a comment on a cursed picture of a room posted on 4chan.