SMG4: Mario and The Backrooms is the thirty-first episode of Season 11 and the six hundred and thirty-tenth overall to be uploaded by SMG4.
It is the ninth episode of the Genesis Arc. It was aired on August 28th, 2021.
Mario clips out of the world and ends up in the backrooms. Things get very very weird.
Continuing from the previous episode, Mario woke up and found himself falling out of the world, and ended up in some backrooms, with no form of contact available. Trying to investigate, Mario stumbled upon a creature and ran. When the creature cornered him, he attacked it by throwing a shoe, and the creature was revealed to be SMG4, who was dragged down the toilet in when he and the gang were searching Mario in the bunker.
They decided to find an exit, where they both stumbled upon a ? block. Hitting the question block, they found a corrupted Goomba and gave chase to it. As they caught up to it, the Goomba told them to not go any further before disappearing. Stumbling across a door, they found what it appeared to be a birthday party, with the hats of Mario and the SMGs as presents. The room then glitched, spawning the messages "GO BACK", so the duo hurried themselves to the exit, leading to another set of backrooms, where they met SMG3, who too got here in the same scenario as them. Then, a monster named SCP-682 showed up, causing them to run and find an elevator that leads to the exit.
The three ended up in the cathedral in the Dark Web, where they saw Axol near SMG3's USB, and he was acting weird, switching personalities. As the real Axol warned SMG4 to escape (and told him he was the one who left the messages in the backrooms), he mutated into Ax0l, the manifestation of Zero, who hurled SMG4 to open the USB that sucked the SMGs and Mario into it. As they were sucked in, Ax0l broke the fourth wall by looking into the camera. The screen then fades to black, thus ending the episode in a cliffhanger without the outro music.
- Meggy Spletzer
- Bob Bobowski
- Saiko Bichitaru
- Fishy Boopkins
- SMG1 and SMG2
- Bonzi Buddy
- Hank Hill
- Dead Memes
- 4:36 - It's Showtime - Undertale OST
- 6:50 - Let's Try - Super Mario RPG
- SCP-682 crashed into elevator door.
- The Goomba blows up after warning Mario and SMG4 to not go any further.
- This episode confirms that Axol was indeed mutated/corrupted by SMG0 in SMG4: The Day HE Arrived.
- Said possession resulted in a design overhaul to Ax0l's face. His original scar is gone, but he has a MUCH bigger one on the other side of his face, and he has conjoined horns that represent a 0.
- Although Meggy had argued with Mario in the previous episode, in this episode, she was very worried about Mario like at the convention when Waluigi carried out a surprise invasion.
- For the first time a serious possession with corruption was shown.
- Once again, SMG4, Mario & SMG3 are a team, also making this the second episode where SMG3 has a major role in the arc.
- This is one of the few times that the end credits theme doesn't play.
- The end credits also have a slightly darker shade of blue then the normal.
- After this episode, the channel banner was updated to SMG4, SMG3, and Mario heading towards 0 to save Axol, who is now corrupted into Ax0l, with SMG0 covering more of the right side of the banner.
- This is the ninth SMG4 video to place a greater emphasis on horror rather than comedy, the first seven being SM64 Bloopers: Can the Villager come out to play?, SMG4: Doki Doki Mario Club, SMG4: Mario And The T-Pose Virus, SMG4: Mario SAW, SMG4: The Mario Purge (Halloween 2018), SMG4: Mario vs IT 🤡, SMG4: The Weegee Uprising, SMG4: The Demon Among Us, and SMG4: TEXTURES NOT FOUND.
- The thumbnail of the video is a reference to the Floating Boy Chasing Running Boy meme.
- In SMG0's Cathedral, possessed Axol said something about a "main event". He could be talking about SMG0's full release, WOTFI 2021, or worse, the end of both SMGs, Mario and their universe. it was finally confirmed in SMG4: The Final Piece that the main event was for the Guardian Pods to suck the life out of Mario and create a new universe with him as SMG0's new avatar.
- The Matrix Revolutions: This blooper is an obvious parody to this film directed by The Wachowskis and starring Keanu Reeves.
- The scene where Axol mutated into the manifestation of SMG0 is reference to the scene where the Oracle got assimilated by one of Smiths and turns into one of them.
- The video's thumbnail references the "Floating boy chasing running boy" meme.
- The Backrooms: The blooper references the creepypasta inspired by a comment on a cursed picture of a room posted on 4chan.