SMG4: Mario vs IT 🤡 is the thirty-ninth episode of Season 9 and the five hundred and thirty-seventh overall to be uploaded by SMG4.
This is the ninth video of the Halloween series. It was aired on October 26, 2019.
Pennywise from the classic horror novel "IT" has come to attack the world of SMG4 and cause mayhem! Now Mario and SMG4 have to gather a gang of losers to take him down.
Not what "IT" is, Mario... but WHO "IT" is.
|—SMG4, while describing what "It" looked like to Mario|
On a rainy night in New Exton, with Luigi playing in the rain with his doll. While he found it entertaining, Mario found no fun in it and proceeded to smack the doll out of his brother's hands and into a sewer current. As Luigi desperately tried to retrieve it, he was startled by Shrek, who was then smacked out by Pennywise the Dancing Clown. Luigi asked Pennywise for his doll back, but Pennywise refused and dragged the screaming Luigi down the sewer by the leg.
Mario was shocked at what was happening and wanting to save Luigi (because apparently, he was the only one who knew the Wi-Fi password as Greg The Alien changed it), decided that he needed to think like a clown and get help from the biggest clown he knows: SMG4. Upon telling SMG4 about the incident, SMG4 described the monster as Pennywise, (also known as It), telling Mario It appeared every 27 years to feast on human flesh and could take the appearance of one's worst nightmares. Mario initially denied it, until SMG4 showed him a picture of broccoli in the computer. Due to hating broccoli, Mario screamed in panic, while SMG4 went to get help.
Unfortunately, almost everyone was trick-or-treating, with the exception of Toad and Fishy Boopkins, so they were forced to come along with Mario and SMG4 to fight Pennywise. When they went into the sewers, they found Pennywise, who flung Boopkins and SMG4 against a wall, kicked Mario away, and ripped Toad's mushroom head off after it terrified him by turning into Toadette, killing him. SMG4 stated that they needed to use Pennywise's one true weakness: firearms. The four (with Boopkins carrying Toad's body) chased after Pennywise to a mansion, which they entered after Mario tossed Toad's body in to make sure it was safe.
Mario freaked out at his own reflection in a mirror, but after he realized it, the reflection turned into broccoli, causing Mario to freak out again. They chased Pennywise into another room, where it used the mirrors to project everyone's fears. Mario threw his head aside, grabbed a gun and fired like a maniac to shatter the mirrors. Then, they saw "Slenderman" playing the piano. Mario greeted his friend and asked how his wife and kids have been. However, "Slenderman" wanted a brofist, and Mario seemingly complied, (with Pennywise in its Slenderman form getting ready to stab Mario) but at the last second, Mario turned on Pennywise saying that the real Slenderman would have started off with their secret handshake, which involved Slenderman throwing Mario over his shoulder. Pennywise, who expressed dismay at the fact that Mario figured out that it was a trick, retreated.
When the gang chased Pennywise, a clown version of Mario appeared and attacked Mario in the kitchen. SMG4 was unable to help, somehow incapable of telling whether Clown Mario was the fake or the real Mario. Boopkins saw an electric current and used it to revive the dead Toad. This caused Toad to go on a adrenaline rush, singing Last Surprise from Persona 5 in such a horrible voice that Clown Mario's head ended up exploding. After SMG4 snapped Toad back into conciousness, the gang continued to chase after Pennywise, entering the bottom of the well in the courtyard. They discovered a chamber where It revealed to have killed Luigi and took on its true form as Gooigi to attack the gang. As the group fought a losing battle against Gooigi, SMG4 discovered the Poltergust in Luigi's pocket and sucked up Gooigi with it. Luigi was thus revived and thanked Mario for helping save him (though Mario still wanted the Wi-Fi password). However, everyone soon realized they couldn't get out of the well by normal means and the episode ends with SMG4 saying "Ah, piss."
Opening advertistement only
- Toad: Head ripped off by It, exposing his brain; later revived by Fishy Boopkins.
- Clown Mario: His head exploded by Toad's terrible singing.
- Luigi: Dies after It takes his soul; later revived after Gooigi sucked into Poltergust 3000.
- Gooigi: Sucked into Poltergust 3000 by SMG4.
- This is the only 2019 blooper to have a custom intro.
- This is Toad's first major role since SMG4: Stupid Mario 3D World, over 7 months prior.
- The book Toad holds to ward off the Toadette illusion is The Holy Boble from SMG4: Mario Does The Chores.
- This is the first time Greg The Alien is mentioned since SMG4: The Day SMG4 Posted Cringe.
- The video description contains clown emojis rather than a summary.
- Toad was only in his Super Mario 64 model for only one scene.
- This episode revealed that Mario's worst nightmare is broccoli.
- This episode also revealed that Boopkins is clorophobic (Scared of clowns).
- And also that SMG4's worst nightmare is apparently SMG3 coming on to him....Or, SMG3 himself.
- This is the second time Scott The Woz has been referenced by SMG4, the first being SMG4: Mario Waits in Line For Some Spaghetti.
- This is the sixth SMG4 video to place a greater emphasis on horror rather than comedy, the first five being SM64 Bloopers: Can the Villager come out to play?, SMG4: Doki Doki Mario Club, SMG4: Mario And The T-Pose Virus, SMG4: Mario SAW, and SMG4: The Mario Purge (Halloween 2018).
- Mario notices that It was imitating Slenderman because he wants to bump fists to greet him but that the real Slenderman would do their secret handshake. However, in other videos, like SMG4: Lost In The Woods, Mario and Slenderman greet each other in this way.
- It: The episode is based off the aforementioned novel by Stephen King, its 1990 TV miniseries adaptation and its 2017 film adaptation, It Chapter One.
- The thumbnail of the video parodies the poster for the 2019 film It Chapter Two, with Mario replacing Pennywise.
- The scene where Luigi meets Pennywise is similar to the scene where Georgie Denbrough meets Pennywise.
- The mansion that the gang go through is a reference to the house on Neibolt street in It.
- Gooigi being It's true form is a reference to a giant spider being It's true form.
- Luigi's Mansion 3: Gooigi being It's true form is due to the game being released on Halloween, October 31, 2019. However, unlike in the games, Gooigi is a villain in the episode.
- Summer Camp Island: The scene where It transform into Gooigi is based on Ghost told the large cat-like creatures to get away from his friends, the creatures turnout to be Ghost's fathers in Ghost the Boy.
- Scarface: The quote "Say hello to my little friend!" was said by SMG4.
- Persona 5: The Last Surprise song is sung by Toad after Fishy Boopkins revives him.