SMG4: The Pawn Business is the twenty-first episode of Season 12 and the sixth hundred and ninety-eighteenth overall to be uploaded by SMG4.
The title was temporarily changed to SMG4: Mario Gets Scammed before reverting back to its original title. It was aired on June 11, 2022.
The episode is presented as an episode of a reality show, with interviews in-between scenes.
When Bob lost the hotel to a casino as a result of a bad gamble in a game of roulette, he decided to open a pawn shop to get the money to buy it back. Meggy, who's house was in the hotel, became homeless as a result of Bob's idiocy and greed and now in debt, was forced to work for him.
Unfortunately, they had to make do with most of the items they had. Bob sold a can of beans to Fishy Boopkins for him to "put his ravioli" in it, only for him to regret doing that, while Meggy was still sour over Bob's past actions. When Mario came in to buy spaghetti, but when Meggy said there isn't, Mario got angry. Quickly, she got a shoe and claimed it was worn by a guy who made tomato sauce. This bought Mario over, who gave her his money and went away. Later, Luigi came in to pawn King Boo's crown he got as a reward for clearing a haunted mansion, and Bob wanted to buy it at $350, much to the dismay of Luigi, who later left to sell his crown on Amazon. Meggy, seeing Bob failing, decided to run the shop in her own way.
Unfortunately, an elderly robber happened to come to rob the shop and pointed his revolver at Meggy, who quickly disarmed the robber. However, as the police had arrived, they found Meggy with the revolver, and thinking she was the robber got her sent to prison. Feeling hopeless, it wasn't until she found a Freddy Fazbear plush in her pocket. She found Swag guarding her cell and convinced him to pawn the plush to let her out.
Bob decided to hide his shady pawn shop business and turned it into a flower shop, where a Koopa Troopa walked in to pawn his Superman comic book but was angered at the fact that he thought it was a pawn shop before Bob had it changed. When he was about to leave the shop, Bob took the opportunity to let his Piranha Plant abduct the Koopa to steal his comic book. Suddenly, Meggy return to crush Bob, but was later subdued by his Piranha Plant. Bob later explained that he hid the plush in her pocket just so to help her escape (but only to frame her to be the one behind the shady pawn shop actually). Meggy, now saw that he helped her get out, decided to help Bob run the pawn shop.
They collected enough money to buy their houses back from the casino, with one condition that the hotel is separate from Meggy's actual house to not have Meggy depend on Bob for living space. Bob later returned to the casino to tell the events of the episode, and gambled his soul on another game of roulette.
- JubJub Boopkins
- Old Man Hobo
- Hal Monitor
- Freddy Fazbear
- Chica the Chicken
- Bonnie the Bunny
- Chris Gordman
- Koopa Troopa
- Piranha Plant
- SMG1 and SMG2
- Ethan Klein
- Dr. Eggman
- William Afton
- Susan Wojcicki
- Prologue: Vim and Vigor ~ Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX Remastered OST
- 01:17: The Price is Right Theme
- 02:22: Hall of Hieroglyphs - Wario Land 4
- 02:48: Buy Somethin' Will Ya! - Earthbound
- 04:04: Super Pipe House - Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
- 04:46: Victory Theme - Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
- 08:48: Sandgem Town (Day) - Pokémon Diamond and Pearl
- 09:10: Studiopolis Zone Act 1 (Lights, Camera, Action!) - Sonic Mania
- 09:55: Jubilife City (Day) - Pokémon Diamond and Pearl
- Ending: Meta Knight's Revenge - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- SMG4: If Mario was in The Sonic Movie: When Meggy bribes Swag, he excuses himself for a moment to dance. Like what Dr. Eggman did when Chris and Swag offered him a reward.
- Guards N' Retards: When Swag dances after being bribed, a sped up version of the Guards N' Retards theme song plays in the background.
- SMG4: She's Back!: Meggy's House was still part of Bob's hotel at the beginning of the episode.
- SMG4 Christmas Special 2021: It's revealed that Bob's hotel wasn't shut down after the rat infestation shown in this episode.
- The YouTube Arc: SMG3 comes by to Bob's Pawn Shop for the YouTube Remote, referencing the events of the arc.
|"I have absolutely no idea what's going on."|
- Multiple zombies are shot by Bob and Saiko.
- SMG4 was eaten by a zombie horde.
- A Koopa Troopa is eaten by Bob's Piranha Plant.
- Old Man Hobo dies from drinking bleach sold by Bob Bobowski as an anti-age potion.
At 8:22 of the video, Meggy’s Deluxe GMOD model was changed back to her old one, as seen threw her texture-less inside of her mouth.
- This is the first episode where Bob and Meggy are a duo.
- Despite Mario's major presence in the thumbnail, Mario plays a relatively minor role in the episode.
- Even so, the title of the episode was changed from "The Pawn Business" to "Mario Gets Scammed".
- The title was reverted back to its original as "The Pawn Business", likely due to the realization that the alternate title was based on one minor event within the episode.
- The dance Meggy does to promote the pawn shop in the start of the episode is similar to the recently-popularized Classic Sonic and Tails dancing meme.
- This is the first episode to depict Karen in a casual outfit.
- It was revealed that Meggy lost her home a few episodes ago.
- This is one of the few episode where the Birabuto Kingdom remix is not used in the credits being replaced by Meta Knight's Revenge theme from Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- This marks the first appearances of:
- SMG1 and SMG2 since SMG4 Movie: REVELATIONS.
- This is also their first post-SMG4 Cosmology Lore appearance.
- Susan Wojcicki since Mario Tries Life Hacks.
- Chris Gordman and SMG3 since SMG4: If Mario Was In... Sonic Movie 2.
- Scoot since SMG4: Mario Goes To The Zoo.
- Zombies since SMG4: If Mario Was In... Nickelodeon and in Season 12.
- Shroomy, Steve and Alex since SMG4: Mario Does His Laundry.
- William Afton since Mario Reacts To Nintendo Memes 5.
- Piranha Plant since SMG4: Stupid Mario Golf and in Season 12.
- Freddy Fazbear, Chica and Bonnie since SMG4: Freddy's Spaghetteria Security Breach.
- SMG1 and SMG2 since SMG4 Movie: REVELATIONS.
- A majority of the episode was edited by TheInvertedShadow, the same editor of the SMG4 Shorts and the Mario Does Things series, mostly on Meggy to give her smoother animation, mainly in the intermission segments of the episode.
- This is the second episode in a row (and third overall) to feature full voice lines for Meggy. Considering Elsie Lovelock voiced 2 of these, and these are the first 2 appearances of Meggy since Elsie started voicing her (excluding SMG4: Mario reacts to Nintendo memes 6 ft. Tari), Meggy will be fully voiced from now on like Fishy and Bob.
- As of this episode, Meggy's house and Bob and Breakfast 2 are finally separated from each other.
- Five Nights at Freddy's: Aside from a plush of Freddy Fazbear serving a major role in the episode, William Afton trying to pawn off Gregory could be a reference to the final boss of Security Breach, where he fights him as Burntrap.
- Breaking Bad: The scene where Meggy and Bob lay down on their money is a reference to a scene from this show.