SMG4: The Smash 5 Trials is the eleventh episode of season 8 and the three hundred and ninety-eighth overall to be uploaded by SMG4.
This episode was aired on March 17, 2018.
The NEW Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch just got announced and a lot of people want to be on the roster. What are they willing to do to get in?
At his house, Mario checks his mailbox where he finds an invitation for the new Smash. Mario then proceeded to go to Final Destination where the entire roster was already waiting. Mario starts dancing around. Luigi then feels embarrassed then compliment Link's hair. He asks if Link is a girl now and Link put a bomb in his mouth. Mario continues to dance until Master Hand crushed him announcing there will be more characters in the roster. Boopkins was transported when he was playing with his doll. Bob was transported when robbing a bank. SMG4 was transported when reacting to SSB5 teaser on Nintendo Direct, and Meggy was transported when fighting in the battle course. Then, Master hand announced some rules in which main characters must be in pair with other through courses.
Note: The characters from SMG4 are paired up with fighters from the SSB series.
1. SMG4 Vs. Break the Targets
SMG4 asks Link what his challenge will be, which Link points to a target, SMG4 says he is good at this so he hits the target, he then asks where the next target is, Link point to the target across the river, SMG4 now thinks all he'll have to do is swim, but Link pulls out a button which releases sharks across the river. SMG4 asks Link how he expects him to get across now, and the latter just flies up using his sword. SMG4 states that he has done stuff worse than this and decides to swim, so he jumps in the water and starts screaming while swimming, during this a pack of sharks reach SMG4 and latch onto his body, he is unable to reach the target, but Master Hand tells SMG4 that he can be a skin for Mario.
- Result: Failure
2. Meggy Vs. Board the platforms
Meggy, (Like SMG4 has just done,) asks Mario what her challenge is, Mario then tells her that all she has to do is jump onto some platforms. Meggy tries to jump but isn’t able to jump high enough to the platform. She then became sad and told Mario that she is sorry she isn’t able to be in Smash. Mario then told her 'not a problem'. He then throws her up high, causing her to land on the platform. Mario continues to throw Meggy from platform to platform. Master Hand said that this is technically cheating but he will allow it. Meggy ends up in the final platform and celebrates briefly before passing out.
- Result: Success
3. Fishy Boopkins Vs. Home-Run Contest
Luigi told Boopkins that he has to hit the Sandbag. He hits the Sandbag but it barely does damage. Boopkins is sad so he went and call his dad. His dad appears out of water. Luigi farts. Boopkins summons Joe to hit the Sandbag to which he complies. Joe then hits the sandbag very far away, Boopkins jumped for joy.
- Result: Success
4. Waluigi Vs. Wario's Coin Battle (a.k.a. Grab the Coins)
Wario tells Waluigi that every time he hits him, money comes out. He says that he will keep doing this so they can get rich. At first, Waluigi likes this plan, but then realizes what Wario really meant as he aims a Ray Gun at him. Waluigi dodges a few shots then spots a Mr. Saturn. Wario prepares to throw a bomb but Waluigi throws the Mr. Saturn at it, blowing it up in his face. Waluigi then grabs a sword and jumps at him, but gets trapped in an assist trophy. Wario says he'll always be an assist trophy.
- Result: Failure
5. Bob Vs. Fighting Polygon Team
Bob is getting ready. Yoshi retreats for the Polygon team. Bob is confused, until he sees the Polygon team behind him. Bob attacks two with his hands, and does a spin move for a mega-combo. He does a split, killing two more Polygons. Two crates appear. The Polygon gets a hammer, and Bob, a flower. Now cornered, Bob attempts his final smash: he kicks the Polygon in the testicles and does a somersault, sending the Polygon into the air, causing it to drop its item, then Bob does somersaults, and catches the hammer with his hand. Using the hammer, Bob kills eight more Polygons. He thinks he's done, but Polygons pile up on him, but Bob tells them he has not showered in 24 years, disgusting them and causing them to get off him. Bob does a victory dance, but a Polygon shoots him off the stage.
- Result: Failure
6. Toad (Little Toady) Vs. Bowser
Starting a battle, Bowser needs to fight. Bowser activates a Smash Ball, turning him into Giga Bowser. Toad, now aware Bowser left him with no choice, summons his Ultimate Mushroom Mech. He enters the mech and screeches. His head is now the head of the mech. Giga Bowser and Mech Toad clash and fight, but Toad slaps Bowser, sending him flying, and possibly kills him.
- Result: Success
Master Hand congratulates Boopkins, Meggy, and Toad for passing. Bob complains he's not in because he is too OP for Smash. Master Hand officially welcome them to, and pauses to play a drumroll. The 3 passers seems excited, when they're actually revealed to be DLC characters for the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U port for Switch. Boopkins and Toad look on in disappointment while Meggy forces a creepy smile. Master Hand then the viewer to get the game at Nintendo eShop for $795, before waving farewell and reminding the viewer to buy amiibo.
- Little Mac
- Doc Louis
- Mr. Game & Watch
- Samus Aran
- Captain Falcon
- Hatsune Miku
- Monty Mole
- Saiko Bichitaru
- King Dedede
- Solid Snake
- Mr. Saturn
- King K. Rool
- Hideo Kojima
- Hank Hill
- Crash Bandicoot
- John Cena
- SMG4: Mario Battle Royale: Luigi mentions the battle royals at the beginning.
- SMG4: Mario University: Toad's mech is used again.
- The episode's idea refers to the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate teaser on Switch announced on the March 8, 2018 Nintendo Direct presentation, which caused a lot of reaction and enthusiasm from fans.
- The thumbnail, as well as the part with Meggy, is also a parody of the scene from this teaser in which the Inklings were announced as playable characters for the SSB game on Switch. This part also became an exploitable meme on the Internet.
- Bob is shown to be a good fighter.
- The video incorrectly stated that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate would be a port of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U and not a new game, though it was most likely a joke to make people laugh. Nintendo later stated that the game is brand new and not a port.
- Despite the fact that Meggy is shown to not be good at jumping, in Mario's Challenge, she is shown to be able to jump extremely well.
- Near the end of the episode, Ridley and K. Rool can be seen among those who successfully passed the trials. Both of them were confirmed as playable characters in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
- Banjo & Kazooie appear in the blooper as well and were later included in the game's DLC in September 2019.
- As of this episode continuing on, the word "f***" has been bleeped out and has been said most of the time, infrequently.
- They would later around SMG4: Mario And... The Well start to bleep out the word "s***." But would still make them say the word "shet" with no bleep and it still continues like that.
- 00:07 - Overworld; Super Mario Bros. 2
- 00:15/00:31 - C’mon And Ride The Ultimate Smash Hype Train; BotanicSage
- 00:27 - Control Elevator; Goldeneye 007
- 01:06 - (Main Smash Theme in D minor; guitar cover)
- 01:33 - Splattack!; Splatoon
- 01:55 - (quiet music when the judges and Master Hand appear)
- 02:32 - (quiet bass in E-flat minor during SMG4 breaking targets)
- 03:12 - (rock music in A minor when SMG4 crosses the water)
- 03:19 - Jaws Theme; Jaws
- 03:40 - Lobby; Splatoon
- 03:57 - (rock music in D minor when Meggy attempts)
- 04:11 - (quiet music when Meggy fails)
- 04:29 - Goldenrod City; Pokémon Heart Gold & Soul Silver
- 04:57 - Mini-Game Park; Mario Party 2
- 05:23 - Break the Targets; Super Smash Bros. Melee
- 05:58 - Penguin Cap; CarboHydroM
- 06:12 - (trumpet piece in C major introducing Wario and Waluigi)
- 06:28 - (happy piece B major during Wario’s plan)
- 06:41 - (song in F minor during Wario and weapons)
- 06:57 - Do the Hustle; Van McCoy
- 07:02 - Waluigi Pinball; Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- 07:29 - Vs. Results; Super Smash Bros.
- 07:43 - Polygons Are Inaccurate; Mikeaudio (OC ReMix)
- 08:46 - (underground motif in G minor)
- 08:58 - In Da Party; Jaztra (Instrumental)
- 09:07 - Go Go Power Rangers; Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
- 09:36 - Trophy Presentation; Mario Kart 64
- 09:59 - Wii Shop Bling V2; toonlink