Silica City is a city where video games are the center of attention and probably also where the Meta Runners compete. Its name is probably derived from Silicon, which is a semiconductor element known for being prevalent in high-end electronics. It is the main setting of SMG4's web series, Meta Runner.
It is also shown to exist in the normal SMG4 Universe, as confirmed by Kevin, who told the viewers that Tari lives here in the SMG4 Universe, just like her Meta Runner Counterpart. The SMG4: If Mario Was In Meta Runner episode showed a version of the city though it was in Tari's dream and it is unclear if this is the definitive SMG4 version of it.
Silica City resembles the city of Los Angeles, California. This is evidenced by the appearance of the U.S. Bank Tower and the Two California Plaza at the end of the opening. The city is extremely urban, with skyscrapers and multipurpose complexes dotting the landscape. Close to everything is illuminated by electric neon lights, giving the city a retro-futuristic look. It has signboards, mostly advertising games, and new gaming equipment, but also real-life brands such as Crunchyroll, Unreal Engine, and AMD. Parodies of real-world companies also exist here, such as Wondy's (Wendy's) and Bintendo (Nintendo). Meanwhile, the streets are full of hovering cars driving on it, a reference to Los Angeles' horrible traffic jams.
Meanwhile, the Silica City Police Department is shown to be corrupt, appeared to be allied with corporations such as TASCorp, a reference to the corruption and scandals that the Los Angeles Police Department had during the 1990s, including the infamous Rampart scandal.
In Silica City, video games are the backbone of society itself, providing jobs and entertainment as well as making up the lifestyle of most if not all of its residents. Most present-day blue and white-collar jobs have been either automated or outsourced, with jobs such as restaurant operation and the selling of goods being almost entirely taken over by bots and AI. As a result, gaming is assumed to be the only way to get by in Silica City. According to Belle Fontiere, performance in video games is also an indicator of social status in the city.
- Belle Fontiere
- Sofia Porter
- Lamar Williams
- Masa Shimamoto
- Dr. Sheridan
- Lucinia Porter
- SMG4's Tari (Confirmed by Kevin in a Hobo Bros video)
- SMG4's Belle Fontiere (presumably)
- According to SMG4, beyond Silica City is an empty vast desert, similar to Las Vegas.
- The bot boys in Silica City does most of the manual labor.
- Silica City is an city-state, similar to Singapore and the Vatican. If in the SMG4 universe, that means that Silica City would be an enclave within the region of Francisco Fajardo in the Mushroom Kingdom. If so, then a customs, immigration and quarantine complex would had been located between the two sovereign states.
- Silica City is never shown during the daytime as the streets are often lit up during the night.
- As revealed by Kevin Lerdwichagul in a Hobo Bros video where they read the Wiki page for Tari's SMG4 counterpart, it’s revealed that Silica City does in fact exist in the SMG4 Universe, as Kevin mentioned that SMG4 Tari lives in Silica City, and only rented an apartment in Onett, which denounced people’s beliefs that that is where SMG4 Tari lives.