I'm just a dandy ol' mushroom and a slave of Princess Peach. Smiling on the outside... And eternally DEAD on the inside.
Toad is a classic major character and occasional antagonist of the SMG4 series.
He is a sentient mushroom and servant of Princess Peach. He’s often sarcastic and immature. He is also quite stubborn and is lots of trouble, especially when Mario or Toadette are involved. He resides in Princess Peach's Castle, living there with Peach and SMG4. He was also once the President of the Mushroom Kingdom for only a day on December 17, 2012, seen in Super Mario 64 Bloopers: President Toad Washington.
Alongside Luigi, he is often the victim of Mario and SMG4's antics and misadventures; occasionally, he is sometimes subjugated by Princess Peach. This causes him to be antagonistic at times since he despises almost everyone around him, including his overbearing girlfriend, Toadette.
Like SMG3, Bowser, Wario, and Waluigi, he has seen a decrease in appearances in Season 9. Since SMG4: Mario Does The Chores, his appearances have been reduced into mostly minor roles and cameos with rarely getting major roles much like Wario and Waluigi. Like Bowser and Axol he only appeared occasionally with SMG4's Gang with Shroomy as his de facto replacement that appeared more often with the gang than himself, though he has become a recurring character in Season 10 and Season 11.
Toad differs from most other characters as he has had two personalities throughout the series. During the earlier bloopers, he is a grouchy and hateful, albeit snarky Toad who loathed Mario and despised his life in the castle, often attempting to destroy it at any opportunity.
In Mario Kart 64 Bloopers: An Adventurous Drive it is proven that Toad likes slides and never knew about the Secret Slide.
In early bloopers, Toad was portrayed as an insufferably obsessed fan of Mario, being annoying to the point that even Mario himself despised him to the point where he tried to murder him. He was overjoyed when Mario was captured by SMG3 and taken to the Kushroom Mingdom though, still showing his dislike for the plumber, despite this, some of the later videos have portrayed him with his original personality, most notably in Stupid Mario 3D World.
In Ssenmodnar 10 (350k Apocalypse Special), he was sick of being hated and mistreated by the other characters, with Steve even blowing his house up to bits during his presidential campaign. Wanting revenge, Toad disguised himself using a Majora's Mask replica and repeatedly went to the castle to harass Mario and the gang with many death threats. He eventually got Mario's old recipe for The Irresistible Golden Spaghetti and summoned the giant Mario Head, directing it to a collision course with the Earth in 20 minutes. Mario angrily chased him into Bob-omb Battlefield, but upon arrival, 19 minutes have already passed. When Mario questions his motives, Toad reveals himself and lists the reasons, but Mario did not care any longer and proceeded to punch Toad into the Mario Head's nose.
More recently, the extent of Toad's life has shown him as an absolutely miserable person, after nine tiresome years of putting up with Mario's stupidity and processing the increasingly retarded state of the Mushroom Kingdom have rendered him a hateful and angry individual—not to mention that Peach apparently uses her Toad Retainers for humiliating and disgusting tasks in everyday life (including sponges, nightstands, and ladders). According to him, the only thing that makes him happy is seeing Mario and any other person he hates suffering.
As a form of relaxation, he began hoarding a massive stash of candy in the Metal Cap level; upon eating it, he gets a sugar rush and begins acting incredibly stupid and hyperactive, much to everyone else's annoyance. Unfortunately, he became addicted to the high and ate it nonstop, which at the last straw, lead Peach, SMG4, and Toadsworth to intervene. Although trying to defend it, SMG4 knocks him out and they send him to rehab, where he screams in horror at seeing Dr. Mario. However, whether rehab has been successful depends on bloopers.
Toad Gold and Stupid Mario Party reveals Toad to be an incredibly greedy person. In the former, after finding a cache of karat gold underground the castle grounds, he bought Peach's Castle and was violently protective of his wealth (he soon lost it after Luigi shot the floor and it all fell into the collapsing hole). In the latter, he used his friends to get money with the promise of giving the winner a Power Star. However, when Luigi won, Toad gave him a fake star and kept the real one for himself (granted Mario's noticing this led to him getting revenge on Toad by giving him a hanging wedgie on the Castle flagpole and melting down all his coins). The Mario Purge portrays him as being an even bigger coward than Bob Bobowski, choosing to side with the Teletubbies to save his own skin.
After The Anime Arc, Toad has become often a target of getting affected by everything else around him turning him into a Mutated Toad Block, minecraft polygon, a Luigi doll, a baby and a goron. This is mostly likely due for being a miserable grumpy person and he unsuprisenly dislikes getting turned into something mutated as seen in SMG4: Stupid Mario Maker 2 and SMG4: Mario's Mask Of Madness.
Powers And Abilities
- Durability: Toad was able to survive being flattened by Mario's giant cheeseburger. Incidentally, he was later able to ride on top of one without falling down.
- Magic: In the Mushrooms and Morons series, Toad happens to be a wizard.
- Mech: Toad has the ability to summon a mech. He used it to combat Giga Bowser and ultimately won. He was also able to use a mech in Mario Battle Royale which he used against the other battlers.
- Bad luck: In a lot of episodes Toad is mostly getting hurt, mistreated or burned as in SMG4: The Tari Abnormality, SMG4: Smart Mario and SMG4: Mario VS Siren Head. He also got used by Mario who tries to fix his car or turned into something mutated.
As Toad has expressed his desire to be rid of Mario, he has unsurprisingly committed crimes in the past.
- Abuse of Power: In Toad Gold and Super Mario 64 Bloopers: President Toad Washington, both of which had Toad becoming rich, he outright abused his newly-gained power and fortune to do whatever he wanted and get payback at the gang for his butt-monkey status (in the former, he buys Peach´s castle and bans the SMG4 gang from entering, and in the latter, he becomes president of the United States for a day and destroys the castle to replace it with a grand casino).
- Manslaughter: In Super Mario 64 Bloopers: President Toad Washington, he accidentally killed many people but was luckily not charged.
- Mass Annihilation: In SM64: ṩṩἔᾗмὄḋᾗᾄʀ 10 (350k apocalypse special), Toad attempted to destroy the world with the giant Mario Head simply because he was tired of his status as a butt-monkey. Despite Mario managing to do away with Toad, the plan still went through (but due to the existence of the status quo, this crime was undone).
- Murder, Theft and Scam: In R64: Stupid Mario Party, Toad kills a Lakitu to steal his cloud and gives to Luigi a fake power star.
- He likes cookies (as do Bullies, Big Bullies, and LilynCookies), which results in him occasionally turning into Cookie Monster and going crazy.
- He is addicted to sugar and becomes hyperactive when he ingests some, as seen in many bloopers.
- He doesn't know how to use a lightsaber.
- He once dressed like a woman to escape jail.
- He drives a Cheep Cheep Kart in R64: Stupid Mario Kart. Possibly this is a reference to the face he makes when he is using the Golden Mushroom power-up.
- In the blooper Super Mario 64 Bloopers: Spells n' Wiztards, it was revealed that Santa didn't give Toad his 2013 Christmas present, making him strongly hate Santa.
- He has mushroom clones that look exactly like him. It's unknown if he used spores to produce them.
- According to Mario, he's a little wiener. Toad also added that, in verbatim, "there are only 3 things that tub of flub cares about. Spaghetti, himself and being naked." in the episode SM64: Meet the Mario..
- Like Mario, Toad likes spaghetti, as seen in The Visitor.
- Toad seems to have changed personality a few times throughout the SMG4 series.
- Starting off in 2011-2012 with a similar one that he has now until was changed in 2013 to be hyper and annoying like the real toad Until 2016 when it was changed back to a more cynical version of the one he had in 2012
- This was explained in Super Mario 64: Meet the Toad Which explains that toad eats candy to be happy
- Toad appears to have a watch that says "Mario Is My Homeboy." Since this was during the period where he went through his personality change, it's possible that he removed the watch after going back to hating Mario.
- Toad rarely changes his expressions. However, he's more prone to doing so in later videos.
- Toad is one of the four characters to appear in the very first video by SMG4 (The Cake is a Lie!). The others are Peach, Lakitu, and Mario.
- According to The Toad, the Fat and the Ugly, he is Toad #232563465.
- It is revealed in SM64: The Adventures Of Mario And Luigi Ep 4 that no one high fives Toad. However, despite this, Professor E. Gadd high-fived Toad after saying Mario was a loser during his nightmare in SMG4: Marioception.
- Toad was once a teacher at Plumber Academy. While he was a teacher there, he was known as Mr. Toad.
- Toad likes Doritos. This is the reason he uses Toadwardo as his alter ego.
- He has tried to escape from Peach's Castle more than 643 times, only to be stopped by Mario in every attempt. He has been seen outside Peach's Castle however.
- However, it might be possible he finally escaped from Peach’s Castle without getting stopped by Mario in SMG4 Christmas 2019: Mario Alone.
- According to Toad, he gets paid by Peach in peanuts; additionally, Peach uses Toads for everything, including as a sponge and furniture. The worst thing Peach uses Toads for, however, is as a human body shield.
- Toad and Toadsworth are some of the few Toads in Peach's Castle that are able to think as the others are brain dead.
- He is a wizard and is able to turn invisible, teleport, and so on, at least in Mushrooms and Morons.
- Toad goes crazy if he has coffee as well as sugar.
- According to SMG4: High School Mario, Toad does not know to write his own name.
- Starting with Mario's Late!, a running gag in the series involved Toad sitting lazily on his couch while playing or reading on his phone, indicating him as a couch potato. This is further proven in SMG4: Mario vs IT 🤡, where he says "Outside is for plebs".
- He also got hurt or ran over (by Mario in a lot of recent episodes. Most of these are cameo appearances with this gag.
- His grumpy behavior in recent videos may be due to not eating candy anymore and he is forced to suffer Mario's retardedness putting him in a bad mood like he was before he started eating candy. However, in SMG4: Food Wars, he is seen eating candy once again until Peach Toadstool picked him up and threw him at Meggy Spletzer in an attempt to save her own skin.
- Hank Hill is his grandpa.
- Toad can commonly be compared with Squidward from SpongeBob. They are both grumpy, are both tortured by two characters (SpongeBob and Patrick for Squidward and Mario and SMG4 for Toad), and both act like jerks and are punished for it. Toad and Squidward are also commonly tortured, as well. Despite his grumpy attitude, Toad sometimes has a big heart and has deep down cared for Mario and SMG4 on more than one occasion.
- According to Retarded Recap 2016, Toad's number is #232563465 and he has a Ph.D. in getting high.
- Mario thinks Toad is an asshole.
- In Season 9 his appearances have become less frequent due to other Modern characters in SMG4's Gang appearing in 9 episodes with speaking roles and 4 major roles.
- In Season 10 his appearences became slightly more frequent again, but beside a lot of his appearences being cameo’s, he only has 5 speaking roles and 4 major roles (or 2 without counting SMG4 Movie: Meggy's Destiny and SMG4 Christmas Special 2020) because he wasn’t the main character in these episodes or didn’t even have a speaking role). In all the episodes of 2020 except one he got less screen time than a minute and no progonistic roles.
- In Season 11 he returned once as progonist for the first time since SMG4: Mario vs IT 🤡 as well as Wario and Waluigi but in the other video’s he still only appeared briefly.
- Toad appeared in all WOTFI Episodes except for WOTFI 2019.
- In Super Mario 64: Meet the Toad it is said that Toad and Toadsworth are the only two Toads in Peach's castle who got the ability to think.
- Toad used to be a rock in super mario 64 bloopers: the switcheroooveralls.
- Like Peach, he was given a basic, grumpy personality likely as a result of being used less in bloopers in 2020.